Monday 2 January 2017

Battle off: Liquid Lipsticks!

I feel like I am one of the very last people to jump on the liquid lipstick band wagon. I always thought that they were overrated and that too many bloggers made a fuss about them...


...and here I am writing a blog post about them.

My first ever liquid lipstick I tried was from a Cruelty Free company available in the UK called Makeup Revolution. As I had never tried a liquid lipstick before I obviously wasn't too keen to spend much money, so I picked up the velvet lacquer lipstick on a random shopping splurge for the grand price of £3.00!

And Thus began the love of liquid lipsticks. Having always envied other bloggers who owned more expensive makeup than myself, and after a huge amount of you tube videos from sophdoesnails... I finally caved in and paid a rather pricey £16.00 For a Jefree Star Cosmetics Liquid Lipstick.

So, I thought, despite the fact that these two liquid lipsticks are on opposite ends of the colour scale, and considering the price difference, why don't I compare the actual formula of both of these products? Especially considering I have gave both of these products so much promotion.

The first stop is...






The Makeup Revolution velvet lip lacquer in the shade Velvet Rebel, which is this beautiful deep plum colour, and has quickly become one of my favourite lip colours.

But this post isn't about the colour, it's about the formulation. But just bare in mind how much of a gorgeous colour this is.



This is compared to the Jefree Star Liquid Lipstick in the shade in Chrysanthemum, which really is entirely on the opposite end of the colour spectrum, with this just as, if not more stunning Pink nude shade. Which I'm pretty sure that Makeup Revolution have a colour shade very similar.

Now one thing you should note is that The Makeup revolution formula is entirely matte, and The Jefree Star cosmetics contains come gold glitter, so it does dry matte, but not entirely.



The applicators on both products are small doe foot. However, The Jefree Cosmetics lip applicator has a slight bend to it, which makes it a tad more easier to fit the brush into all the natural curves of the lip, and also meant I required no lip liner before application.


Where as when using the makeup revolution brush, I would recommend using a lip liner, whether that's because of the darker shade, or because I like the precision, I don't really know.

Now, this is where the differences start to get even more noticeable..

The Formulation of the Makeup Revolution Liquid Lipstick, is exactly what I would expect from such a product, the formula is velvety, creamy and thick.



The product has great pigmentation, and applies easily and evenly to my lips. However, that being said, I wouldn't apply too many layers of the product as I have found that this can actually cause the lipstick to flake shortly after applying.

With this product I didn't have to wait too long before it was completely dry.

The product dries matte and isn't tacky in any way.

I also found this lipstick, extremely comfortable to wear. It was in no way drying, and didn't sit in the cracks or creases off my lips...

Now, The formulation Of The Jefree Cometics liquid lipstick is the exact opposite to the previous product.



I found this liquid lipstick to be a very thin, almost watery like consistency, which did apply evenly and was highly pigmented for such a thin product. However, I found it rather drying, to the point where I've had to apply lip balm before application. Something that I haven't had to do when wearing the makeup revolution product.

I also found that after I had applied this liquid lipstick, that it did in fact settle in to some of the lines, which Isn't a big issue, but for some people it might be a bit of deal breaker, especially if you have super dry and cracked lips, I can't imagine it would comfortable to wear, but for me, it was fine.

Another quick thing to mention, is that after almost a week off wearing this every single day, is that I realised when I would smack my lips together. You know that thing you do when your trying to spread your lip balm from the top lip to bottom?

Well, when I would do this, the centre of my lip felt slightly tacky, despite the fact the liquid lipstick had fully dried. To be completely honest, I'm not sure if that's how all Jefree liquid lipsticks are, but this particular shade does contain glitter, so that could be what the issue was...

Now onto the wear and tear...

The makeup revolution liquid lipstick, is a stunning shade, and applies beautifully, However, when it comes to being long lasting, I have had a few issues.

In the past, when I applied too thick of a layer of the product, I found that the lipstick actually flakes back off the lips, which I was quite surprised at considering the application Is so good.

I have also found that while eating and drink, the lipstick doesn't last very long. As in it comes off on glasses and cups, as well as the whole centre off the lip seems too fade away.

But, if your not really eating or drinking, this lipstick doesn't move or smudge in anyway, to the point where coconut oil is the best for removing it...

Now, compare this to the Jefree Star Lipstick, which if you follow my Instagram account, you'll be aware of the fact that I ended up running into some issues, involving a lip swatch of this product that wouldn't remove after a shower...

This product is definitely long lasting, and although it does fade ever so slightly when eating and drinking, it really does last far longer.

I've also found that this product fades differently to Makeup revolution, as when this product starts to fade, it fades from the outside in. Rather than a totally missing patch in the middle of your lips.

I thought that the product lasted throughout most of the day and didn't require much effort to maintain.




So, If I'm honest when comparing these two products, I personally prefer The Jefree Star liquid lipstick, due to the fact of how long lasting it is. Although, at the same time, considering the fact that makeup Revolution is almost a 5th of the price, I feel like you can't really go wrong.

Both very different formulas and application, but both creating a beautiful result. I feel like it will simply come down to personal preference as to which of these you like best. Also, both of these products are cruelty free. So do not fret!

I hope this comparison has helped you to make a decision and hopefully you will try at least one of these products!

yours truly,
Shawtandsimple xo
















SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig